CHIEF & COUNCIL
The Naskapi Nation acts through its Chief and Council, who are elected for a term of three years.
Council’s responsibilities are to:
· be the local government on the Category IA-N land;
· manage that land and its natural resources;
· regulate the use of buildings;
· manage the Naskapi Nation’s finances;
· promote community development and charitable works; and
· promote and preserve Naskapi culture, values and traditions.
Current Chief and Councillors Portfolios
Chief Noah Swappie
Health and Social Services
Deputy Chief Jimmy James Einish
Councillor George Shecanapish
Hunting, Fishing and Trapping Rights
Councillor Paul Mameanskum
Councillor Edward Shecanapish
Youth and Women's Issues
Councillor Silas Nabinicaboo
The Naskapi Village of Kawawachikamach (the “Village”) was created by Québec legislation pursuant to Section 8 of the NEQA. It acts as the municipal government for the Category IB-N land. The Village is also responsible for providing police services on Category IA-N land. The Chief and Councillors of the Naskapi Nation act as Mayor and Councillors respectively, of the Village.